Nik Powell - Director
In the early 1970's Nik Powell set up Virgin Records with Richard Branson and in the space of ten years the pair turned a small mail-order record operation into a multi-million pound conglomerate.
In 1982 Powell went into partnership with Stephen Woolley, having sold out from Virgin in the previous year. Together they formed Palace Video, followed by Palace Pictures, and then Palace Productions, soon establishing each as highly regarded entities within the film distribution and production industry. Powell has acted as Executive Producer on all of Palace's productions including Neil Jordan's COMPANY OF WOLVES, OSCAR NOMINATED MONA LISA, Michael Caton-Jones' SCANDAL, and Neil Jordan's multi Oscar nominated THE CRYING GAME.
Nik and Stephen Woolley's new company Scala produced Iain Softley's BACKBEAT, Terence Davies' THE NEON BIBLE, Shane Meadows' TWENTYFOUR:
SEVEN, Mark Herman's Oscar and Golden Globe nominated LITTLE and Vice ChairmanVOICE, Fred Schepisis' LAST ORDERS starring Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, Tom Courtenay, Helen Mirren, David Hemmings and Ray Winstone, Charles Dance's LADIES IN 1996-LAVENDER, starring Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith, Miriam Margolis and Daniel Bruer and Nik also executive produced CALENDAR GIRLS.
Nik was appointed Director of the National Film and Television School in 2005, although he remains as non-executive chairman of Scala Productions.
Other roles included:
- Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the board of the European Film Academy and host of the European Awards 1996 to 2013
- Chairman of the Bafta Film committee and member of the Bafta Board of Trustees 2010-2016
- Vice Chairman of the GEECT Board 2004 to 2014
- Member of the US academy: AMPAS (Association of Motion Picture Arts and Science)
- Director of the board of the Northern Ireland Film and TV Commission and Chairman of its Film Investment Fund Committee 2003 to 2007
- Member of British Screen Advisory Council (overall umbrella body for UK media)
- Member of European Producers Club
- Member of the Academy of the Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- Vice President of the National Society for Epilepsy
- Chevalier dans l'ordre des arts et lettres