For other NFTS masters courses
The Directing & Producing Television Entertainment course is the only one of its kind in the world. It is recognised for its high standards and its ability to fast-track students into the Television Entertainment Industry.
In recent years’ students have sold entertainment formats to Warner Brothers Television and ITV and student graduation shows have won prestigious awards from the New York Television Festival and the Royal Television Society.
• The only Television MA course of its kind in the world
• Direct & Produce entertainment programmes in our professional 4K TV studio
• Be taught by industry professionals
• Unlike other schools all production costs are met by the school
• Work placements with the BBC, ITV and leading entertainment production companies like Hat Trick, (Have I Got News for You), Studio Lambert (Gogglebox) and Love Productions (The Great British Bake Off)
• Take a fast track into the Entertainment Industry
We welcome EU/EEA Students. Those accepted onto courses starting in 2018 will have their fees guaranteed at the UK rate for both years of the course.
TV Entertainment Promo
This Television MA course focuses on major Entertainment genres, including Factual Entertainment, (The Apprentice) Game Shows, (The Cube) Magazine Shows (Top Gear, The Culture Show) and Music Shows (Later with Jools & TFI Friday).
Students learn to develop ideas, script, produce and direct single camera and multi-camera programmes using the School's own professional 4K TV studio or shoot out on location - with all production costs met by the school.
Students experience the programme cycle from the brainstorming of an idea right through to transmission and injected into this timeline are specifically tailored modules taught by top television professionals.
Students also get to pitch their entertainment ideas to broadcasters, including SKY and the BBC.
There is a huge amount to fit into two years, so the course is both demanding, rewarding and requires a thoroughly professional attitude from the students.
Students graduate with:
• The skills to direct TV studio multi-camera productions
• The skills to direct single camera productions
• The know-how to produce entertainment productions
• A practical working knowledge of current television methods
• The ability to generate entertainment programme ideas and formats
• The confidence and know-how to pitch those ideas to commissioning editors
• Brilliant Industry contacts
Please note: This course is not suitable for students who are primarily interested in Film, working on solo projects or scriptwriting.
Our intensely practical and pioneering Television MA course aims to train the entertainment directors and producers of tomorrow. Students are taught by NFTS staff and visiting Industry professionals.
Other crucial areas covered include how to pitch original programme ideas to broadcasters and how to set up an independent production company. Students also undertake a two-day long module on business and legal affairs supervised by top Industry lawyers Lee & Thompson.
Placements with leading production companies like Hat Trick, Studio Lambert and Maverick or broadcasters like the BBC and ITV are an integral part of the course.
By the time students graduate they have the craft, skill and confidence to direct and produce both in the studio and on location. They also have a thorough understanding of the television production process encompassing everything from the creative to the technical and the business aspects.
Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School. In addition, student teams are given a cash Production Budget. NFTS students are engaged in more productions as part of the curriculum than any of our competitors.
The course is led by David G Croft (Crystal Maze, Shooting Stars, Live Aid, Top of The Pops & Baddiel's Syndrome). Other tutors who often teach at the school include Richard Boden (Blackadder Goes Forth, The IT Crowd), Geoff Posner (Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Concert, Dinner Ladies, Little Britain), Michael Grade - Lew Grade Chair in Television Production, Richard Greenwood (ITV Entertainment Executive), Amanda Murphy (Executive Producer: Supernanny), Ian Russell (Multi-Camera Director: Royal Wedding, London Olympics), Graham Stuart (Executive Producer: Graham Norton), Mark Robson (Entertainment Executive Producer).
If you are lively and imaginative, then this is the course for you! Applicants must be able to demonstrate their passion, commitment and talent for developing a career in Entertainment TV.
- A short proposal for a television entertainment programme (no more than one A4 typed page)
- A critical analysis of a current entertainment television programme or series (not drama) (no more than two A4 typed pages)
Vimeo links with samples of your work specifying your exact role in each. This work need not be in the entertainment area, as some applicants may not have a film or other programme-making background.
How to Apply
Last few places remaining! Please contact registry via email stating your name, course of interest and contact details to be considered for one of the last remaining places on this course:
- 2 Year Course
- Course runs Jan-Dec each year
- Next intake: January 2018
- NFTS Scholarships available for UK Students