Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do NFTS courses commence?
A: Our MA and most Diploma courses commence in January each year, however some Diplomas do start in September. This information should be included in the “Quick Facts” box on each course page of our website.

Q: What are the term dates?
A: The curriculum year runs from January to December for most courses. The term dates vary slightly each year, but the teaching year is always 40 weeks. Students have non-curriculum breaks 3 times per year; approximately 1 week off at Easter, 6 weeks during summer and 2 weeks at Christmas.

Q: What are the requirements for the Master courses?
A: The key thing we look for in applicants is a passion for the subject they are applying for and that they have some evidence of that passion. Applicants normally also have an undergraduate degree and if they don’t have a degree then they have 3-4 years of relevant (not necessarily direct) experience in the specialisation they are intending on applying to. We also have a minimum age requirement of 20.

Q: How do I apply for the National Film and Television School?
A: You can apply online via our website. Application forms are accessible via each of the course webpages for approximately 4 – 6 months before the submission deadline. Alternatively you can contact the Registry department to ask for a Microsoft Office Word version.

Q: Can I apply for more than one course?
A: Yes, you are welcome to apply for more than one course, however we advise no more than 3. You must bear in mind that there is a £60 application fee for MA courses to be paid each time you apply.

Q: What about if I have a disability?
A: We do not discriminate. Many of our students have various learning differences or disabilities. We have a Student Welfare Advisor and our registry team support students to apply for the Disabled Student Allowance programme if they are eligible. This is something to enquire about at the time you are applying.

Q: What are the tuition fees?
A: For the majority of our MAs they are the same, however a couple vary slightly. Each Diploma course also has a different tuition fee. Please visit the Fees page of our website for further information:

Q: I have not graduated from my University yet, what should I put in the Education Eighteen and over section?
A: If you have not yet completed your degree, please complete as much information as you can to include the course title and university you’re attending. Please mark the result as pending. If you are later offered a place, we will need to see original proof of your qualifications before Registration.

Q: Who can act as my referees?
A: You should provide one academic reference and one character reference. If you are not able to nominate an academic referee (i.e. you may not have been in education over the past few years), you are welcome to nominate somebody else who is familiar with your work (i.e. an employer). Your referees can send their references directly to Registry via the email address provided on the application form.

Q: I’ve forgotten my online application password, what should I do?
A: Click on the 'Forgotten password' link on the 'Login' page, where a new password can be generated for you and sent to the email address associated with your account. All you have to do is enter your username.

Q: Am I able to amend my application once it’s been submitted?
A: We ask that you check your application through thoroughly to make sure there are no mistakes before you submit. If you need to make changes to your telephone number, email address or living address, you can email Registry directly and ask for these changes to be made.

Q: How many students do you intake each year?
A: It depends on the course. The majority of our Master courses enrol 8 students annually, however some and the majority of our Diplomas take 12 – 16.

Q: Can I transfer from my current University?
A: We do not offer transfers. In order to attend the NFTS, you would need to apply in the same manner as everyone else. This includes submitting an application and supporting material by the nominated deadline for the following intake.

Q: Can I apply for an MA if I don’t have an undergraduate degree?
A: Yes, if you hold the equivalent experience (3-4 years industry etc.) and can submit the supporting material listed in the Apply With section of the course web-page, you are still able to apply as a concessionary applicant.

Q: Do I need a language certificate?
A: If you are an International applicant coming from a non-English speaking country, we do require an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) certificate with a minimum score of 5.5. This will be part of your Tier 4 student visa. We do not currently require this from EU citizens.

Q: Does the National Film and Television School provide accommodation for its students?
A: No, we do not currently offer our students halls of residency or accommodation; it is the responsibility of the student to find their own. The Registry department provide an accommodation newsletter to help assist our students in finding a place. Students generally house and flat-share in Beaconsfield, High Wycombe or London and we estimate maintenance fees (rent, travel, food etc.) to be in the region of £9,000 per year.

Q: Does the National Film and Television School offer Online or Distance Learning?
A: No, we do not currently offer formal online courses. All of our courses whether part-time or full-time will require some form of attendance in person and based on-site in Beaconsfield or in Central London.
That said the School does offer two FREE introductory courses via Futurelearn. See:

Q: Will I be able to work part-time?
A: It depends on your work schedule. Some students do manage to work part-time locally; however during busy production periods, evening and weekend attendance can be necessary, which makes working difficult.

Q: I don’t live in the UK. Will I need to come to the School for an interview?
A: If your application is successful, you will be invited for a formal interview at the NFTS with the selection panel and for some courses be required to sit a small practical test. However in certain circumstances, applicants from overseas and EU may be interviewed via Skype.

Q: I need to apply for a Tier 4 student Visa, when should I apply?
A: It is not possible to apply for the visa more than three months before the course start date. Your visa will allow you to enter the UK one month before that date in order to give you time to sort out accommodation etc. Please refer to the website for more information:

Q: Am I eligible for financial aid?
A: We can only offer NFTS funding and scholarships to UK applicants. However occasionally we do have some other Scholarships available to EU and International applicants depending on the course you are applying for. We advise you get in touch via our enquiries to find out more and if you qualify.

Q: Does the National Film and Television School partner with the Erasmus Programme?
A: No, unfortunately this is not something we can offer.

Q: Will I get a job immediately after graduating from the National Film and Television School?
A: We cannot guarantee employment. The School’s motto is ‘Our credits tell the story’ because we have a high success rate in graduates finding work on top film, TV and games directly after graduation.

Q: How can I be considered for casting on National Film and Television School projects?
A: Please send your CV/Headshot/Spotlight link to – you will be prompted to join a LinkedIn page. Should you be required, you will be contacted directly.

Q: How do I become a volunteer for National Film and Television School productions?
A: Please email your CV to our enquiries email: or fill in the contact form on the website. Your name and details will then be added to our volunteer database. Should you be required, you will be contacted directly.

Q: I have a job opportunity I would like to offer your students and graduates, who should I contact?
A: Please fill in this form and return to the email address provided. Please note: we are unable to circulate unpaid positions or work opportunities to our graduates

For all other general enquiries or unanswered questions, please contact: or for short courses: